They decided to go moose watching. Achy and Too-Tired were very excited to see a real moose. Can’t-Do and Get-Along were kind of scared because of the size of a moose, and Hurry-Up was in no hurry to go moose watching.
Their moose-watching guide told them some fun facts about moose:
• The flap of skin under the moose’s throat is called a BELL.
• Moose have no top front teeth.
• After the first calf, moose quite often have twins.
• Moose can only see about 25 feet.
• In the Moosehead Lake Region, moose out number people 3 to 1.
• The first law to protect Moose was passed in 1930.
• Only male moose grow antlers, which they shed in early winter and re-grow during the year. The main function of antlers is for display during the mating season (source: mooseheadlake.org).
The guide took the Crabbies to moose “hangouts.” It wasn’t long before one came along.
“Would you look at that!” said Hungry. “He’s HUGE!”
“Oh, wow, wow, wow,” said King. “He looks even more powerful than me.”
“I can’t look,” said Can’t-Do. “He could crush me.”
The guide assured the Crabbies that they weren’t going to get close enough to get crushed. That made everyone feel better.
They watched moose come and go, and decided it was a nice vacation spot. They will be spending the weekend, and King wanted to be sure Miss Becky got a postcard from Maine. Have a great weekend to all of you from the traveling Crabbies! See you when we get back Monday!