In addition to being lots of fun, the CrabbieMasters is a great tool that can be used for behavioral management. First there are a few basic principles:
Keep the mindset of a CrabbieMaster.
- We don’t think of ourselves as being crabby.
- The Crabbies are trying to sneak in and mess with our day.
- We have the power to take charge and “Beat the Crabbies!”
The adult role is to help the child ‘Beat the Crabbies!’
- Behaviors are indicators that Crabbies are at work.
Recognize that the behaviors are associated with Crabbies, but don’t make the mistake of putting all your focus on the behavior.
- Negative attitudes and behaviors are indicators that there is a Crabbie trying to mess with the day. Too often we make the mistake of focusing on the behavior and not the real underlying cause of the behavior.
Bye, bye Too-Tired!
Since Too-Tired is “The Worst Crabbie in the Universe!” let’s use Too-Tired as an example. The reason Too-Tired is the worst is because when we are tired it is harder for us to beat any of the other Crabbies! There are a whole range of behaviors associated with Too-Tired. Off the top of my head:
- Generally disagreeable
- Overly reactive
- Won’t eat breakfast you made
- Prefers to eat something that is junk
- Says, “I Can’t.”
- Says, “Don’t look at me!” “You are not my boss!” “Stop It!”
- Won’t do what is asked of them.
- Pushes, hits, bites
- Falls down.
- Does not act like they hear you
- Can’t focus at school: does not recall things that he or she knew yesterday.
I could go on, but I think I made my point. 🙂
As adults we have 3 options:
- We can flip out at the inappropriate behavior.
- We can excuse the behavior because we know the child ‘is a good kid.’
Ohhh… it’s okay.
- We can acknowledge the behavior, recognize that the child does not feel good when they lose control, and help the child see what Crabbie is at work so that he or she can do what it takes to beat that Crabbie.
We did it!
We Beat the Crabbies!
I have done all of the above. The third one is the one that gets results.
Make it a good day!